CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

How do I search articles by using Internet?

On the second day of the IT class, we were asked to log in to a website called METAKU. It is a website that teach you how to search good articles using Internet. Actually before this, I never knew that there were techniques when searching for information or articles using Internet. After visiting METAKU, I realized that the way I search for articles in Internet are not that correct. The 3 articles that on my previous post are the articles that i search using the way that i learnt from METAKU.

Before that, the searching engine that i usually used to search for information are YAHOO (http://www.yahoo.com/) and GOOGLE(http://www.google.com/). But this time, I used a new searching engine which are ASK JEEVES(http://www.ask.com/).

I did try all the techniques for searching articles using searching engine that taught in the METAKU. The first technique, I try to recognise and find out all the key words that related to my topic or articles that I searching for. I try to write out the topic that i searching for in the fact form or in a question form. For example, the topic that i was asked to search are about information technology and nursing. So,when i search, i will write in this way: "The importance of information technology in nursing." or "Why information technology is important in nursing?". I did combine the key words that related to the topic in order to find more relevant and accurate articles.

The second technique, I did use the symbol " " when searching for articles. For example, "Information Technology" or "Nursing" or "Information Technology""Nursing". This technique help me find more accurate articles by decrease the numbers of the results articles if compared with not using the this symbol " ".

The third technique, I used the Advanced Search. In the Advanced Search, I can key in more and extra key words that relevant to the topic that I am searching for. This help me find more specific and accurate articles. This also save my time by reducing the results.

The forth technique, it is a technique that teach you how to search for image, audio file/mp3, video or document in pdf format or powerpoint. I did try to use this technique to search for document in pdf format or powerpoint and i found out that there were some good article were in this form.

The last one, it teach us how to open a new window or tab by not closing the previous page for reference. I used this so often because it is so convenient for me to choose the right article by open few articles in the same time.

0 comments: